Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Illuminating Ideas...PART 2...

OK... you love to stitch applique or do wool work and you don't have a handy hubby, like Sandy (see yesterday's Post) to make you a handy dandy Light Box!...But you NEED to trace your patterns onto Heat n' Bond(Steam-a-Seam) or butcher paper or you might need to reverse your pattern or you might want to make templates...

SEW what do you do?

Well, you could spend $50 -$200  on a sleek new light box... or you do what most of us do and tape your patterns onto your window.... BUT what if you want to do all of this prep work AT NIGHT...and there is no sunshine to shine through that pattern...WELL...you improvise...

You slide your Plexiglas machine extension table off your sewing machine...


and slide a Tap Light under your table...(I bought mine for $2 at a hardware store)....


No...this isn't the moon...

Lay down your pattern, place the Heat n'Bond on top and  trace away...


If your sewing machine doesn't have a clear Plexiglas Extension table then use a clear tote...it just needs a flat top...

                                               

Drop your Tap Light inside, tap it on and close the cover which becomes your table...and Presto!  Instant light box!


Trace away!


A nice fix for under $5!  Just remember to tap the light OFF when you are finished!  Yup...you only do THAT once!  :o0
Yup...she's off!
Just a little tap on this light turns it on and off and it is powered by AA batteries!  SEW there you have it...I just saved you a ton of money...at least $50...so go buy a Tap Light and then stop off at your local Quilt Shop for some retail therapy!  You have at least $48 'free money' to spend! (Hey...it works for me!)

Have a terrific Tuesday and Happy Tapping!~P

19 comments:

  1. "You have at least $48 'free money' to spend!"..I like the way you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paulette, you're a genius! My husband is a much better gardener than carpenter. I'm going straight to Cdn Tire to buy a tap light, which ,by the way, I've never heard of. I've so much tracing to do. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, I'm taking that $48. to Pioneer Quilts in Portland Oregon, today. Have a wonderful Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tip, P. That Tap Light is genius. And I always have a clear plastic tote on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have a glass top coffee table, that worked great with a lamp underneath, anything that is glass or clear plastic makes a good light box. Another thing is frames, I never use the glass on most projects so you can tape up the rough edges and use that too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heading down to Home Hardware for a Tap Light for my walk to day, thanks for the best tip of the year P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your extension table is too small you van go to your local lumber/hardware store and get a large piece of acrylic and lay that on top of your table and then you avoid the cut out for your sewing machine and can trace larger patterns with ease. I got one several years ago that is about the same size as my cutting mat. Loved it before I for my gifted slim-line light box. And I can use it on top of the new box if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great idea. I'll be trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for a great idea. I'll be trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips! I was using my extension table for tracing yesterday. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a great idea. I'll be trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea....wanna try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome ideas. I think one of those light could come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cool way to create a light box! I have a small tap light that I keep in the office supplies box in the closet. There isn't quite enough light in there, so I just pick it up, squeeze it, and shine it around to find what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yess! It works. Only problem is that my taplight is not bright enough for me. Sooo, I open up my dining table just enough to accommodate my sewing extension and set a table lamp on the floor beneath. Talk about bright. The sewing machine extension --or a piece of acrylic, as someone mentioned-- is the key. Where there is a problem, a quilter will find a way, right? Of course, right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your reasoning. : )
    I use my plexiglass extension table, but I just open wide my Ott light--the kind that turns off when you close it--and lay it under the extension. Didn't have to go buy anything. I'm not sure--does that mean I have more free money or none at all?

    ReplyDelete