Friday, March 13, 2015

Gee’s Bend Quilts

 Woolie Mammoth Blog and Poppyprint Blog both did a blog posting on Gee’s Bend quilts or mentioned Gees Bends quilts…I had never heard of them before and then low and behold, we have our own Gee’s Bend quilter show up at our very own Clubhouse on Wednesday!  For once, thanks to Anna and Krista, I had a wee small inkling as to what she was talking about!!

IMG_4171

For those of you still in the dark this is what I found on Wikipedia to help explain what Gee’s Bends quilts are~

The Quilts of Gee's Bend are quilts created by a group of women and their ancestors who live or have lived in the isolated area of Gee’s Bend, Alabama. The Quilts of Gee's Bend are considered to be one of the most unique and important African-American visual and cultural contributions to the the history of art within the United States.  Female slaves pieced together strips of cloth to make bedcovers. Throughout the years and into the 20th century, Gee's Bend women made quilts to keep themselves and their children warm in unheated shacks that lacked running water, telephones and electricity. Along the way they developed a distinctive style, noted for its lively improvisations and geometric simplicity.

 

IMG_4172

This quilt certainly is all of that!  Very distinctive style in lively bright colours in simple geometric shapes!  Lovely to see in REAL LIFE!  You just never know what you are going to see in the Clubhouse on our Wednesday’s together!  Unfortunately I didn’t get to talk to the quilter and never got her name.  DARN!  (While she was chatting with the rest of the quilters, I had whipped back to the RV and she was gone when I got back!)

But it was exciting to actually see the quilt and hear a bit about it…

Thanks for stopping by…now maybe if a Gee’s Bend quilt drops in your lap you will know a bit more about what you are looking at!

Have a Fun Friday and Happy Stitching!~P

6 comments:

  1. well...a nice little History lesson today. Thanks Pauletter, I had never heard of this. Now I can say I know what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paulette, I have been fortunate to view the original collection of Gees Bend quilts in Houston in 2001, it was amazing to see that they used corduroy, bedsheets, old denim jeans, polyester, whatever they could recycle in their households.

    In 2011 I was invite to a small group of about 25 to have coffee and dessert and met three of the ladies, Revil, Louisianna and China along with Matt who was the collector who brought them to world attention.

    They have been featured at Maiwa lectures several times. You should sign up for their catalogue and see if they come again,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Paulette, I believe the quilt you are showing comes from a kit by Debby Kratovil. So not quite a Gee's Bend quilt but a quilt inspired by a Gee's bend quilt!.
    http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/gees-bend-lazy-gal-variation-quilt/128368
    for more info on the pattern and the original author, Qunnie Pettway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love their quilts and won a quilt kit for one, guess I need to make it;) I also love the hit and miss look, use of older materials and design as you go, my kind of quilt.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. here we spend tons of money on fabric and they make wonderful quilts by making due!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gees Bend quilts are beautiful and what I find most amazing is their simplicity. The women who make them really have an eye for colour and design. I've got two large coffee table books about the Gees Bend quilts and I never tire of looking through them!

    ReplyDelete