Friday, September 27, 2013

Play Day…ALL DAY!

On Wednesday I played…all day and made these pretty blocks.  This block was the Block of the Month at Heritage Quilting…back in October/November of last year!  I didn’t get it made then…but the good thing about quilting is, you can file it away and do it when the inspiration hits!  Wednesday was the day for me…albeit a little late! 

P1240445

LOVE these blocks…wouldn’t they be pretty in orange and black for a Halloween quilt or as a Red/Green/White Christmas quilt?  Oh yeah…

If you want to know how to make this block, then keep reading…(If NOT then scroll to the bottom of the page…)

It’s called the Tavern Puzzle Block…I tried Googling it but couldn’t find it anywhere…BUT I did get some fantastic tavern sites…:o))

SEW…

1.  Take two 11 inch blocks (light and dark) and place them right sides together.

P1240407 2. Measure TWO INCHES down from the top on the left side and mark…see where my pencil is..can you see the white line?  Then mark TWO INCHES up from the bottom on the right…see where my red pen is…can you see my white mark?

P1240409

3.  Sew all around stopping at those white marked lines.  Leave that mark space OPEN!  Look at the picture.

P1240410

4.  Now lay your ruler from the stitched corner to the stitched corner and cut…

P1240411

It will look like this…

P1240412

Now take the BOTTOM triangle and flip it up so that the blue fabrics KISS.  Moowha!  The two sewn triangles are now together!

P1240413

5.  Now take your ruler and measure TWO INCHES on the left size and CUT.

P1240414

6.  And cut TWO inches on the top…

P1240415

It should look like this after cutting…

P1240416

Pull the pieces apart and now you get to play…and put the puzzle back together again!

P1240417  7.Your puzzle should look like this…

P1240420

8.  Stitch the top, middle and bottom sections together.  See pic..

P1240421  8.  Sew the three sections together!  Now trim the block down to 12 1/2”.  Darn I forgot to take a picture of this!!  I knew it was going too well…!  Oh well you know how to do this.  I have one of those huge square Eleanor Burn’s rulers so it was easy to do.

P1240423

Make another one…put them this way OR

P1240424

..this way… 

 

P1240426

They practically multiply on their own!

This way…

P1240442

Or this way…

P1240443

See what I mean!  Like rabbits!

P1240444

I love this block…but one things for sure, I NEED a few more play days!!  I want a BIG quilt!

NEWS FLASH!!  Kathy from Quilting Along the Gorge Blog just informed me that there is another FREE pattern for this block!  It’s called Arrowhead and can be found HERE.  It is a smaller block…finishing at 8 1/2” so you may like this size better.  Enjoy…and thank you, Kathy!!

On the WOOL Front!  Hey, it’s the last day for our CRAZY ABOUT WOOL BLOG HOP!!   Here’s the schedule for Friday! 

Friday, September 27

Hallbrook Designs

Karen's Quilts, Crows and Cardinals

Mummzy Stamps

Meadowbrook

Friendship Crossing

Fryeber

Color Point Quilte

Before you head off into Wool Land, let’s give a HUGE shout out to Denise from Pieced Brain Blog…she is the one who made this Blog Hop happen!!  It takes tons of work to coordinate everyone and get all the Woolies stitching and on the same page… and Denise did it effortlessly!  :o))   She also lined up some amazing sponsors for some super Give Aways…so make sure you visit her blog, Pieced Brain!!

Denise, you did an incredible job!!  So, altogether now…

“THANK YOU, DENISE!!”

I will be announcing the winner to my Crazy About Wool Give Away tomorrow…so if you haven’t entered, now is the your last chance!!  Go HERE…and good luck! 

Thanks for popping in…have a wonderful woolie WEEKEND!! ~P

19 comments:

  1. I love those blocks! Thanks for showing how to make them! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great block! Looks like an interesting method of construction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great tutorial and so easy to follow. Looks like a fun block to assemble. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do love those Tavern Puzzle blocks!! How big are they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this block as being called Anita's Arrowhead Block, here is where you can find it and yes it works up very fast. http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_downloads/QM_Anita_s-Arrowhead.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh heavens...what a wonderful block Paulette!!! I have to remember this method

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Paulette - this is an awesome tutorial and way to do those blocks! Yep, it's added to the list.
    Hope to see you for coffee soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that block! I never realized there was an easy way to make it~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun project; with a great finish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so pretty and your tut is very well explained. I am going to "pin" this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great block! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made an Anita's Arrowhead block quilt for my grandson this summer. Love the pattern. Thanks for sharing a bigger version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful block. After seeing the note, I do recall now seeing the other called Arrowhead. It's a great looking block by any name. Thank you for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad I visited your blog on the blog hop! I was looking for an interesting block to make for a swap I am in...the Arrowhead block looks perfect...and the technique is fascinating! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this block design and have been wanting to make it for quite some time. Seems like a great stash buster. Really like the colors and fabrics you are using. Going to be a beautiful quilt.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, thank you, Sweet P.!
    PS Any issues with the long edges on the bias?

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are quilters who make quilts, and there are quilters who simply blow the mind of other quilters with their tutorials. This is amazing!
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was wondering what the most efficient way was to make these blocks and now I know. Thank you. They are great!

    ReplyDelete