Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Just Swinging By…

…to tell you that the Monkey Quilt top is DONE!  I wish the picture was better…but you get the idea! 

P1220611

I found the pattern in this book…

image

I didn’t bring my book with me but I found out through Krista (Poppyprint) that the designer is a friend of her’s…Laurraine of Patchwork Pottery. Linda Kopp is the author of the compilation book, but the pattern is Laurraine's. She's a member of the VMQG and lives over in New West (Vancouver, BC)! 

Obviously Laurraine is a VERY talented designer!  Love this quilt!

She took the ‘Five Little Monkeys’ song and turned it into this quilt.  I changed it up a bit…I hand embroidered the last verse rather than the first verse for my poem around the quilt.

One Little Monkey jumping on the bed.

P1220613

He fell off and bumped his head.

P1220614

Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,

P1220615

“PUT THAT MONKEY RIGHT TO BED!”

P1220612

Very cute…don’t cha’think?

P1220197 

I used to teach the poem “Five Little Monkeys” to my K-1 class.  For the last sentence to this poem the kids would put one hand on their hips and wag their other finger as they YELLED… “PUT THAT MONKEY RIGHT TO BED!!”  They LOVED this poem!  I will have to teach it to my wee grandson…in June!…:o)))))

Have a Wild Wednesday and Happy Quilting!~P

20 comments:

  1. It's adorable, Paulette. Perfect for a sweet grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet, Paulette. And I love the verse. I bet you were a very popular teacher with your K-1 class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable quilt. I have have to teach my granddaughter about the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - I've never heard that last line - we always say "No more Monkeys jumping on the bed " that was a favorite of our girls when they were little. I'll have to remember to teach it to our 2 year old Grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very cute....I'm sure it will be one of his favorite quilts....It is sure fun to be a grandma.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable with a capital "A"! You will be the fun Grammy I am betting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...love this quilt. That was a favorite story on our house at bedtime...20 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quilt is so cute and love the saying around the edge, great idea.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is soooo cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet!! I love it. I sing that song to me grandkids too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that poem too. The quilt is just precious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this little quilt, and so will some little one. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree...what a precious quilt, but what really blows me away is the perfect printing! Is that your first grade teacher printing or did you use a pattern? Just lovely, Paulette.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely adorable! I may have to search out this book. My brother and SIL are expecting their first baby any day now and they decorated the nursery with monkeys! I used that monkey print that I saw in your quilt to make them a divided fabric basket. I used the story words piece as an accent. Anyway, adorable all around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the theme! It is so adorable. Can you please tell me if you bought the verse fabric online? I just bought fabric with monkeys at the quilt show in NJ on Saturday. I would love to incorporate some of the fabric with the verses. Thank you.
    Claudia
    Ccitarella@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, not sure if what we say is different because I live in Australia, or it changes from region to region, but my kids sing ..."and the Doctor said...NO more monkeys jumping on the bed!"
    My kids love that rhyme too. Cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that baby quilt--may have to invest in the book! Check out the blog tonight--I will have photos of the newest baby quilt I did for friends back home in Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the monkey quilt. My grandson Avery loves that song. He went to the doctor this week for an ear infection. When I saw him, I asked him "what did the doctor say?" He replied "no more Avery's jumping on the bed!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a different ending to your Monkey's rhyme. Cute quilt and your new grandbaby will love it. Being a Grandma if the BEST! I will have 19 by end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your quilt <3 I've never heard of that 5 Monkeys Jumping On The Bed poem before. I love it and will be purchasing the book to read and sing to my granddaughter. It will be perfect for her 1st. b-day. Enjoy finishing your quilt. Debby (Wisc.)

    ReplyDelete