Friday, June 22, 2012

It’s the Cutting Edge..

My quilting friend, Delores returned from a trip to the Oregon Coast and of course brought back some Show and Tell…namely some new quilting gadgets which she brought to Heritage Quilting to show us!  

Now the special red binding clips by Clover (on the right) have been the talk of Blogland.  Here in Canada we always receive things about a year after the fact!  It’s like we live in Timbuktu…where everything is brought in by horse and wagon!  The clips look great..and they each have a measurement on their tops so that you can have perfect hems/binding!  (I won a package from Anna’s Woolie Mammoth in her last give away…and you guessed it…they are being brought in by horse and wagon!  I can’t wait to try them out!)

P1180812

Delores also brought in QTools Cutting Edge and Sewing Edge…

First let’s talk about the purple Sewing Edge…Now we have all, at one time, put painter’s tape on our sewing machine’s bed to help us achieve perfect seams…you know where the edge of the fabric follows the edge of the tape.  Well this reusable purple strip is applying that very idea…you put it on the bed of your machine and it helps guide the fabric.  They have kicked it up a notch by raising the thickness of the tape so that fabric nestles right up to the tape and can’t go over…hence you get perfect seams!!  Plus it is reusable…so no sticky residue!  Brilliant or what!

While Delores was telling us how the tapes work, Vickie, who had brought in her new magazine, “Quilt You Stash” for Show and Tell, pointed to the article reviewing this new tape…

P1180814

It even has a picture showing us how it works…pretty nifty!

 P1180813

The orange Cutting Edge is used with your cutting ruler…let’s say you are cutting 1” strips, so you put the tape along the 1” line on the underside of the ruler…remember the tape is raised …so that the fabric butts right up to the tape and can’t go over…creating perfect 1” strips.  Plus it provides you with a visual point to line up your fabric!  Another brilliant idea!

So if you have used any of these products, what did you think??  Come on we want to hear from you?  Did they work…or was it a waste our hard earned fabric $$?

Have a FUN Friday and Happy Quilting!~P

17 comments:

  1. Oh this tape sounds like the answer Paullette...I have the red clips. I won them in a blog hop a few months ago...they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning P, I use the purple tape all the time, helps me keep my perfect seam especially when chain piecing. The little red clips are great for holding the binding while hand stitching (though I did just read where a blogger glued hers before machine stitching - will try that too). Have not tried the orange strips, maybe someday. Are you up for a road trip? having a garage sale here tomorrow - would love to have you come and shop !! you could visit your daughter while here in Calgary too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the orange tape on my rulers and it works well. I haven't seen the purple. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see where the tapes might be handy.

    I won some clips from Anna, as well, and then a friend sent me a box of 50. woooohooooo! I used them for the first time last night. I like them but teaching this old girl new tricks is not easy. LOL I've been using the clips for years so.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many tools to help us with our sewing that it is mind boggling, too much to learn;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the red clips when doing my binding. No more pins for me. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the red binding clips, love them, Anne (Woolie Mammath) had said in her blog that Hancock had them for your monthly sale item. I was using the grey hair clip but these are the best. Sally A from Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    I haven't tried any of these products. I used to use Painter's Tape to ensure a 1/4 inch seam, or a stack of narrow post-it notes. Now I have a 1/4 inch foot for my sewing machine! Can ensure a perfect seam every time!
    Take care, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I haven't tried any of these products. I used to use Painter's Tape to ensure a 1/4 inch seam, or a stack of narrow post-it notes. Now I have a 1/4 inch foot for my sewing machine! Can ensure a perfect seam every time!
    Take care, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, don't feel too bad Paulette- I haven't heard of any of these products and I live in Ohio. haha! So, thank-you very much for sharing- I will be keeping my eyes open! Have a great weekend!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been using the Wonder Clips for months now and love them...especially when sewing on binding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't used any of these tools, but I do like the purple strips. The sticky residue from tape is a pain. I'll be looking out for these. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like and use the orange strips but on the top of my ruler as a visual reminder for tricky measurements eg 7/8ths. I have used the purple strips but stopped, might give them another chance, forget why I stopped! Haven't seen the red clips in Australia...perhaps they will arrive by sailing ship?! Honestly I haven't looked for them, so they may have appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks interesting Paulette..
    Anything that makes sewing/ cutting easier is worth a try.
    Thanks for the tips..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. IMHO, the tapes for the sewing machine are a waste of money. I've used thick moleskin (from Dr. Scholl's--for blisters & bunions) and post-it note pads for the same purpose. I've seen the red clips, but they're way more expensive than the hair clips I use for the same purpose. I guess I'm just a cheapskate--I'd rather spend my $ on fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Clover clips are available here - just as your LQS to get them in from the Vancouver wholesaler. I purchased them as my giveaway today at retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Things brought in by horse and wagon? Don't you mean dogsleds? (haha)

    I'm from Waterloo Region, Ontario which calls itself "The Quilt Capital of Canada" and it is still sometimes hard to find new products.

    ReplyDelete